- Summer Climate
- In a normal year mid-June thru mid-Sept is warm, with max. temp. in the mid to high
20s (celsius). Night time may be cooler.
- Winter Climate
- Winters are cold and most years there is snow cover from mid-November to mid-April. In December and January temperatures of -10 Celsius are normal with occassional dips to -20 or -30.
- Forest Cover
- We are in the transitional forest belt which gives us an especially beautiful mix
of deciduous trees (birch, poplar, ash) and conifers (pine, spruce, cedar.)
Undergrowth tends to be thick. There is no poison ivy. Berries are plentiful in season.
- There is abundant wildlife locally. This includes deer, moose, fox, coyote, wolf,
bear etc. The only wildlife that is any danger are bears, but these are black
bears which tend to be timid and easily scared off. There are no poisonous snakes.
- Insect Pests
- Northern Ontario is notorious for black-flies and mosquitoes. The black-flies have a
mercifully short season, two or three weeks in late May to early June. They do not
bite indoors. Mosquitoes are a nuisance mostly in June and July. Wood-ticks are also a nusiance in June.
- We have five kutis (cabins) four of which are completely winterized. In addition
there is the "pavillion", a common building with kitchen and shrine hall.
There is also a sauna (bath - house) and workshop.
- The Kutis
- The kutis are well insulated, equipped with wood-stoves, kerosene or propane lights and a range for
making tea or coffee.
- Land and Water
- We have ninety-two acres mostly forested. Our property borders on the Arrow
River. The river is not polluted and is suitable for bathing in season.
- We are not connected to the electrical grid. We make a limited amount of solar
power and also use gasoline generators.
- There is a satellite connection to the internet and phone. We do not have cell phone coverage here.
- We have a well with hand-pump. The river water is not polluted, and is suitable for bathing
but is too muddy to drink. There is low pressure running water in the kitchen (summer only.)
- There is a small one-person sauna (bath-house) close to the well. We fire it up twice a week. Also, many people like to wash in the river during the summer months.
- Is mostly done by hand and dried on a line. The only alternative is to use a
laundromat in Thunder Bay while in the city.
Arrow River Forest Hermitage